Re: RFC: Going the LDAP/Kerberos way with NetBSD.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:43:31PM +0200, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 05:16:55PM +0200, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> >
> >>- NetBSD should have an infrastructure primary based on LDAP for
> >>directory services and Kerberos
> >> for authentication, which is used in all environments as feasible.
> >>Let the {s}pwd.db stuff die and
> >>
> >  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >This will make using NetBSD on many embedded products infeasible.
> >
> Eh, how would that ever affect embedded products?  It would just be
> another database to search in.

With a daemon I have to run to do the searches, which, even if it's
small, will doubtless be considerably larger than the existing db
file implementation, which is tiny.

I'm concerned about size and about complexity, as well as about having
to analyze code that talks on the network by default when it did not
before -- and persuade others that there is no remote compromise where
there used to be only a local one.

But I think I do not object so much if the flat file search code stays
and it is possible to disable all LDAP support at build time just as it
is currently possible to disable YP.  I agree that LDAP will be vastly
preferable for many purposes and that a small LDAP server will be far
better than OpenLDAP to ship with the system.

Thor