Re: RFC: Going the LDAP/Kerberos way with NetBSD.

> The magical "fall back on flat files if no daemon is running" is a
> good way to build a consensus on a mailing list.  No one gives up
> anything: the flat filers can ignore ldap and the ldapers get their
> functionality.  I see two downsides: twice the complexity (code &
> documentation) to support both ways, and mysterious, possibly
> unwanted fallback behavior.

> Consider: if your ldap server fails, do you want the flat files to be
> consulted instead?

I see nothing wrong with "flat files if no daemon, unless specifically
configured to ignore the files".

Well, except even more code complexity - but there's probably a
suitable config file knocking around already, so I'm not sure it's
really all that much more.  (I know, spoken as someone who hasn't tried
to implement it....)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse%rodents.montreal.qc.ca@localhost