Re: RFC: Going the LDAP/Kerberos way with NetBSD.

Bill Stouder-Studenmund skrev:

And, if someone wants to use more fancy features in an LDAP server, install OpenLDAP or iPlanet.
It should be trivial to just switch over.

Now, after a much too long mail, comments please? :-)

Ok, I think there really are two parts to your EMail, and we should factor them out for discussion.

1) Integrating LDAP into NetBSD to the same level as YP was 15 to 20 years ago. This includes scripts to seed an LDAP server from /etc databases and also scripts to help bind a client to an LDAP system

2) Including your small ldap server to help with (1).

I think we should talk about them separately since (2) will raise issues not raised by (1).

I STRONGLY favor (1)!!! Sounds great!!!
Yep, exactly. And it should be complete with all stuff needed to get it running
smoothly.

I like (2) as well. I however don't know enough about LDAP to know how much of a support concern we're opening ourselves up to.
Neither do I, but keeping it small will avoid most of the problems, I hope.
Note that using OpenLDAP will be both difficult to have a reasonable default
install and also to keep it up-to-date.
-- Ragge