Re: 64 bit time_t changes

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 05:37:36AM +0900, SODA Noriyuki wrote:
>       christos%zoulas.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas) said:
>
> > ino_t is already 64 bits; d_fileno in struct dirent is ino_t.
>
> Oops.  These were already fixed by you more than 2 years ago.
> I missed that change.  Sorry.
>
> > should we make dev_t 64 bits too?
>
> The reason I thought so is both Solaris and Linux are already
> using 64bit.
>
> But I don't have concrete reason that current major/minor space
> is not enough.
> One reason is that we can increase maximum number of partitions
> with 64bit dev_t (I don't mean on-disk disklabel format here,
> but only dev_t space).
> Windows allows 128 partitions for the EFI system.

If you want more partitions per disk, help get wedges working. One of the
ideas with wedges is that we have a wedge major, then we have minors off
of it. We do not use the unit/partition split with wedges, thus there is
no limit on the number per disk.

While I really don't see a need to raise the size of dev_t, if we're
bumping libc, maybe we should.

Take care,

Bill