Re: Importing OpenLDAP into base

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Steven M. Bellovin
<smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:50:59 -0400
>  "matthew sporleder" <msporleder%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>  > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Luke Mewburn <lukem%netbsd.org@localhost>
>  > wrote:
>  > >
>  >
>  > >At a minimum, the libraries & appropriate client tools so that
>  > >we use NetBSD as a client in an existing LDAP infrastructure.
>  > >
>  > >If supporting the server "in base" would turn out to be a
>  > >maintenance nightmare then we can leave that stuff in pkgsrc
>  > >for those that need it.
>  >
>  > It's been my experience with linux distros that openldap quickly falls
>  > behind in versions, security fixes, etc, and asking for help from the
>  > openldap lists (which I was very active on for a few years as an ldap
>  > admin) will not get you much more than "please upgrade to x.y.z" and
>  > some notes about being a better sysadmin.  :)
>  >
>  Is this problem for client, server, or both?

Technically it's an issue with both since they release together, but
the clients and libs change a lot less frequently compared to the
server.

http://www.openldap.org/devel/cvsweb.cgi/Attic/CHANGES
(see the latest OPENLDAP_REL_ENG_2_4  and OPENLDAP_REL_ENG_2_3 for an
idea of how often things change)

(slapd is mentioned a lot more than lib*)