Trouble with libc / common makefiles

I'm trying to disable the asm mem* files in powerpc/string from being compiled,
and I'm having a bit of trouble with it.

If I modify lib/libc/arch/powerpc/string/Makefile.inc  to do something like:

.if ${MACHINE} == "evbppc"
SRCS+=  bzero.S ffs.S strlen.S memcmp.c bcopy.c
.else
SRCS+=  bzero.S ffs.S strlen.S memcmp.S bcopy.S memcpy.S memmove.S
.endif

It still builds bcopy.S.  I've tested that evbppc is set, because if I add
nonexistent files to that section, it tries to build them and fails.

Any idea what is wrong here?  Is there any way to disable these from being
built short of deleting them?

---
Tim Rightnour <root%garbled.net@localhost>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/