Re: 64 bit time_t changes

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:49:17PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
 > On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:19:23PM +0900, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
 > > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:39:19PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
 > > > First, currently, shared libs aren't linked with -lc when they're
 > > > built, so no dependency is recorded; thus one can't readily tell which
 > > > library images go with which libc versions. Worse, because of this,
 > > > after a libc bump a newly compiled program linked against an old
 > > > library and new libc will be silently invalid.
 > >
 > > This is a bug in my opinion and I want to adress this.
 >
 > Given the way that elf symbols are lookup up, nothing you can do
 > will help.

That's not quite true. ELF is a bug, yes, and I continue to maintain
that our interests are best served by planning to move on from it when
that becomes feasible. But there are various things that can be done
to work around the worst problems. Since adopting something else
(Portable Interface for eXecutable Insertion and Embedding? Generic
OBject LINking?) would be extremely expensive, especially in the
absence of a ready alternative to binutils, we should take these steps
where they're feasible.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost