Re: obsoleting shlibs - what's the plan

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Greg Troxel wrote:

mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost (Michael van Elst) writes:

This is now moot, as Luke said he fixed the set lists to remove the
obsolete tag on the old libs.

I believe that programs linked against the old libraries
will not work or not work correctly when they start using
these libraries, i.e. when they call kerberos functions.

Can you explain why?  Please assume that they worked correctly before
the upgrade.

I'm afraid this is the reason I've sometimes had the "Oh, god, my system
is broken, time to wipe out pkgsrc and start over." Fortunately a 6YO P4
system is fast enough that I don't have to wait weeks for the recompile.

I'm not completely sure this is the reason, but once in a while (once or
twice a year at the most?) I've had to do this.

That only follows from your unproven assertion above.

Heh. I resemble that comment.

We have two possible scenarios:

- old libraries are dropped and programs linked against them will
  fail, telling everyone that the corresponding package probably
  needs a rebuild anyway.

This is hostile to users and not the standard NetBSD practice.

I don't believe this is the case. The NetBSD way is to do secret things
that break -current and point and laugh at the outsiders who got bitten.
Wait, what were we talking about? :)

a -current system after a large subsystem was changed. I don't consider
this a problem or even worth this discussion.

Many others consider it a problem; the NetBSD way is to be careful about
binary compatibility.  It's not just about current; had this remained
then it would also have happened from 4 to 5.

The NetBSD way, maybe, but not the pkgsrc way. Too many cats to herd.
I'd say break it and make people recompile and wish we had a way to
crosscompile so people like me who are running SPARCclassics don't have
a month of downtime.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd%twofifty.com@localhost