Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/libexec/httpd
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/16/2007 16:57:44
>> 2) Provide something out of the box that a number of folks want.

> - I do not think that many users in our community are interested on this;
> - User should decide what software he wants to use;

The latter applies to practically everything in the system; as for the
former, if you start trimming everything that anyone thinks "nobody"
uses, there won't be much left.  (My own list would start with UUCP.)

> - This software is not NetBSD-specific, that is, it does not need
>   some services of our kernel;

Nothing specific to NetBSD, true.  But the same is true of probably at
least 75% of the programs we ship.  Nearly anything in /usr/bin is an
example.

> - Again, as a user I wont have a software in the base which perhaps
>   never ever going to use;

If one person never using it is a reason to remove something, at least
2/3 of /usr/bin and /usr/sbin can go, because I am probably never ever
going to use them.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign