Subject: Re: Global variable name which equals to func name causes coredump(gcc).
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/28/2007 06:56:12
On Jan 12,  9:53pm, der Mouse wrote:
}
} >> Now I think it is a very terrible problem: I can't have any global
} >> varible whose name is the same with those in libraries.  For
} >> example, __srefill, __sread called by fread, or thounds of any other
} >> function
} > You can't have any variable starting with _ in your programs -
} > they're for system use.
}
} I'm not sure what kind of "can't" this is.  They certainly work for me.
} They're risky, true, because of this kind of thing, but that's hardly
} "can't have" them.
}
} It does mean that this problem definitely isn't a bug as applied to
} such variables, but that's a very different statement.  (I'm not sure

     Actually, it would be a bug, except it would be a bug in the
application.  Variables beginning with "_" are reserved for the
implementation.  Applications aren't allowed to use any variables
starting with "_".  It's true that you can use them, but you do so at
your own risk (including being LARTed for standards violations).  Even
K&R2 mentions that you shouldn't use them.

}-- End of excerpt from der Mouse