Subject: Re: envstat -s sensor -d device
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/24/2007 23:23:51
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:05:32 +0100 (BST)
Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net> wrote:

> how much trouble is it likely to cause if the acpi* devices were to follow
> this scheme and no longer include the device name in the sensor
> description as below?

With these changes and using the old envstat, there won't be a way
to differentiate the sensors when there are multiple acpitz(4)
or acpibat(4) drivers attached.

This will be something like:

present
charge: 4.000 Ah (100%)
connected
charge: 0.000 Wh (0%)

The three first sensors are from acpibat0 and last one from acpibat1.

I'm not sure if people will like to have this, but perhaps just saying
that envstat must be updated should be enough.

Anyway libc and libpthread are not compatible in 5.0, what's the
problem with just yet another part not compatible? :-)

Note that I agree that they device name shouldn't be embeded into
the sensor's description, but the compatibility nightname is the reason
why I haven't touched them.

--
Juan Romero Pardines 	- The NetBSD Project
http://plog.xtrarom.org 	- NetBSD/pkgsrc news in Spanish