Subject: Re: proposal for new ps(1) option -H
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/06/2007 11:16:28
--E39vaYmALEf/7YXx

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 02:12:03PM +0200, Jan Kryl wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> currently we use -s option to display one line for each LWP. The
> disadvantage is, that -s option does two things at once. It prints one
> line for each LWP and following information for each lwp:  uid, pid,
> ppid, cpu, lid, nlwp, pri, nice, vsz, rss, wchan, lstate, tt, time and
> command.
>=20
> So, currently there is no way to display one line per LWP and
> simultaneously your own configuration of output columns.
> Therefore I suggest a new option, which prints one line per LWP, but
> does nothing more. In Solaris they use -L, which is already used for
> listing available keywords, so we could use -H as in FreeBSD.
>=20
> The patch, which does the job, is fairly trivial (see attachment).
>=20
> What do you guys think about this change?

I don't like it.

If we want '-H' to be like FreeBSD, that's one thing.

What I don't like about your suggestion is that what I think is the=20
underlying problem still isn't fixed. The underlying issue is that when=20
you add certain command options, such as -s, there's no way to suppress=20
options (columns) that they add. If such an option existed, you could add=
=20
the -s option, this option, then build your own parsing option using the=20
-o option.

If we add 'H', then sure, we effectively have -s with the normal options. =
=20
But we still haven't fixed the issue that you can't make a totally custom=
=20
list of options.

Take care,

Bill