Subject: Re: The wscons.conf behavior
To: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/08/2007 20:55:54
On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 12:19:28PM +0300, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 10:47:22 +0200 Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>
> > Please put it somewhere when it can be found by users of
> > binary releases - we have the release notes for that. (But please do it
> > after 4.0 is released - the release notes in -current are actually for
> > 4.0.)
>
> Ok, will hold notes for 4.0 cut off. BTW, keeping 4.0 release notes on
> -current sounds somewhat strange for me, because this means the notes
> updating is usually performed just before release, but not in time of
> change.

Maybe you confuse cause and effect. We update release notes for 4.0 in
HEAD precisely because nobody bothers to update them in time of change,
so when 4.0_BETA2 was branched, there was nothing relevant to 4.0. By
keeping them in -current we theoretically prevent people to update them
in time of change. But since almost nobody cares about updating
them anyway, it hasn't been a problem until now.

We could of course work on release notes for 4.0 in the netbsd-4 branch,
but doing it in -current will help us with release notes for 5.0 . For
3.0, the release notes were updated only in the netbsd-3 branch and the
result was that the HEAD version missed some improvements and typo fixes
that I had to merge manually.

Pavel