Subject: Re: Help - Light weight precision user level time reading
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/25/2007 23:32:00
In article <9d5baaef0707251311g253a6973s545fee609371fec8@mail.gmail.com>,
Shaleen Shah <shalin.soc@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>   I have couple of questions to work on NetBSD project.
>
>   I had given my project proposal in this Google Summer of
>Code'07.(http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/soc-projects.html#fast-time)
>Unfortunately, my application was not accepted. But l still  want to
>work on this project. I am novice to Open Source community. At this
>time I just want to know that is there any one who is working on this
>project? Or what is the best source to get details of this project?
>How should I begin at NetBSD kernel?
>
>I'll really appreciate any help or suggestions...
>Thanks,
>Shaleen.

Nobody is working on this.
The best way to start is to look for prior art in other OS's. For example
solaris has an alternative system call gate for them that it is lightweight.
Other OS's map the variables that contain the current time in the process
space. This does not help though with high precision timer calls.

christos