Subject: Re: kill(1) a pid after timeout
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/25/2007 10:03:43
--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc

Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org> wrote:
=20
> What will kill do after this change if the process exits before the=20
> timeout? Further, say another process gets started using the same PID=20
> before the timeout. Will it get killed instead?

I think you misunderstood.  The way "kill -t timeout" would work is not
to start kill(1), then wait _timeout_ seconds, and then send the signal.

Instead, kill(1) would look at the process's running time, check if it's
been running longer than _timeout_ seconds, and if so send the signal
(right away).

I understand that the wording "timeout" (as was noted by somebody else)
may have caused this misunderstanding.

-Jan

--=20
The Internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
	-- John Gilmore

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc--