Subject: Re: rc local [UPDATE]
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
From: None <tlaronde@polynum.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/20/2007 06:57:30
On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 12:04:30AM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <20070319202503.GA16023@polynum.com>,  <tlaronde@polynum.com> wrote:
> >-=-=-=-=-=-
> >
> >I have updated the proposal according to concerns raised:
> >	- by Greg Troxel for the lack of consistency: no pkgsrc
> >	  handling;
> >	- by Joerg Sonnenberger for the handling of two services sharing
> >	  the same basename.
> >
> >Hence I have extended the logic to add:
> >	/etc/rc.d.pkgsrc/
> >	/etc/rc.defaults.pkgsrc
> >

> I think that the .d suffix was supposed to mean a directory. Perhaps having
> 	/etc/rc.pkgsrc.d/
> 	/etc/rc.pkgsrc.defaults
> is better?

These were my first choice. But after some thoughts, as indicated in my
previous mail, I think that the emplasis is not about what is a dir or
not, but what is a local or pkgsrc version of this dir. Hence, all files
and dirs are appended with the suffix indicating that they are the local
or pkgsrc version of rc.d and defaults/ (/etc/rc.defaults.{local|pkgsrc}
are not put in /etc/defaults/ to put all not OS stuff conspicuously
directly at /etc/ and to not spoil /etc/defaults/ with variables things.

Cheers,
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/