Subject: Re: rc local [patches]
To: None <tlaronde@polynum.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/18/2007 11:01:22
One concern I have about your naming change proposal is that it seems
to sort everything into "system" and "local".  But, there is a third
category "pkgsrc".  Currently, pkgsrc can install into rc.d, and that
seems to work quite well.

Further, you talk about domain administration, and that was on a
system I ran long ago called "site" rather than "local", and is really
a fourth category.

I'm really not sure I understand the requirements this proposal is
solving; it seems to be to be able to understand what scripts are
added without having to run diff against a pristine DESTDIR
installation.   I run groups of machines, and haven't found the
current setup problematic.