Subject: Re: /etc/rc.shutdown.local
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: None <tlaronde@polynum.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/17/2007 17:44:02
On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 05:16:56PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 05:05:41PM +0100, tlaronde@polynum.com wrote:
> > And it will work as is since checkyesno will work even if name is not
> > set. But for consistency then, a default local conf should be sourced
> > too in /etc/defaults/rc.conf. What name /etc/defaults/rc.local.conf?
>
> Why? You can use the normal rc.conf/per-script configuration handling,
> so why split it off?

I was probably unclear about the meaning of this.

I'm not in the hypothesis of a single node configuration, but more on
the hypothesis of installation of several nodes, with the organization
making the installation using some services, that are not NetBSD system
ones (say PostgreSQL, Samba etc.) but that may or may not be used on a
particular system.

The /etc/defaults/rc.local.conf will list and document the services
variables, the defaults for the organization.

While the  /etc/rc.conf will set the customized values for this very
node.

If I understand correctly the framework, what I call NetBSD system
services are the ones whose scripts are placed in /etc/rc.d; with the
default configuration in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
If one wants to change the NetBSD system services scripts, the framework
gives the /etc/rc.conf.d/ facility to overwrite almost everything
without changine the /etc/rc.d/scripts themselves.

I mean simply to mimick this for third parties services say.

And I think pkgsrc should place the script in this /etc/rc.local.d/ and
add default policy to /etc/defaults/rc.local.conf, and not add all
possible services to /etc/rc.local.d, since rcorder orders everything,
the decision of starting or not being taken after (that is adding
everything on earth to the rc.d framework will just slow done boot time
for nothing at all).

But perhaps am I misunderstanding what you are pointing me to?

Cheers,
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/