Subject: chkconfig in NetBSD? (was Re: admin script for ipfilter)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/12/2007 19:58:57
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> What you describe sounds like the Irix chkconfig script, which can be
> used to disable and enable services as well as query if a service is
> disabled or enabled. See
> http://software.majix.org/irix/admin-chkconfig.shtml for a bit more.
>
> The point of chkconfig is to have a single file for each variable, which
> sort of contrasts the one-file-for-everything approach we have in
> /etc/rc.conf now...

Going back to our old thread of December and January.

I was reading FreeBSD "rc" archives which mentioned NetBSD's chkconfig. So
I searched and found:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-rc/2006-February/000548.html

And now I see it in NetBSD:

/usr/src/sbin/chkconfig

It even has a man page.

Not installed by default because I assume was never finished.

I haven't looked at it much yet.

  Jeremy C. Reed