Subject: Re: CMSG_* problems
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org, tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/12/2007 17:49:58
>> Am I correct in inferring that people really don't like the idea of
>> making the interface easy to use correctly, preferring to require
>> application authors to be sufficiently C-wizardly to (a) realize
>> that the current macros demand aligned buffers and (b) either come
>> up with a way to arrange that, or bite the bullet and arrange to use
>> malloc?
> Use an array of intmax_t then.  That is architecture dependent.

It also is not guaranteed to be the most strictly-aligned type around.

But this point really has nothing to do with the paragraph you
nominally responded to.  You're offering more ways (still too arcane
for most application code authors, I suspect) to use the existing
interface, which has little to do with whether an incremental
improvement would be a good thing.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign