Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.bin/find
To: <>
From: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/07/2007 14:51:48
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 07:50:10AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>>
>> Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:

>>> And I have had "ll" aliased to "ls -l" for almost two decades.  I,
>>> personally, find this convenient.  I will commit /usr/bin/ll in a few
>>> minutes if nobody objects.
>>>
>>> Personal preference is no reason to gunk up the system with redundant
>>> features.
>>
>> There are two schools of thought here. One of them is that we would be
>> better off removing everything that wasn't in v7. The other is that
>> making life more convenient for the users leads to a more pleasant
>> operating system.
>>
>> If you want to run v7, though, it is available for download.
>
> Clearly, you're right.  What can I say?
>
> I will endeavor, then, to do my part towards more convenient life for
> the users and a more pleasant operating system.

I'd prefer being on the 'lean' side and installing extras with pkgsrc.
Feature creep like that sounds silly to me. There's only a certain
amount of "easy" we need, isn't there? I suppose there could be a goal
of being the be-all and end-all of OSes, but that's not why I use NetBSD.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd@twofifty.com