Subject: Re: makefs problem [was: Re: Enabling LFS in sysinst (and moving lfs_cleanerd)]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/04/2006 12:43:47
On 11/4/06, Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > However, I have a "problem".  It feels weird that the iso's contain
> > other iso's within them; this may not be an issue when
> > CDRELEASE=false, but it certainly is when it's set to true.  I did the
> > following:
> >
> > $ cd distrib/i386/cdroms/bootcd
> > $ nbmake-i386 CDRELEASE=true clean
> > $ nbmake-i386 CDRELEASE=true dependall
> > $ nbmake-i386 CDRELEASE=true release
> > $ cd ../bootcd-com
> > $ nbmake-i386 CDRELEASE=true clean
> > $ nbmake-i386 CDRELEASE=true dependall
> > $ nbmake-i386 CDRELEASE=true release
> >
> > After that, the boot-com.iso image contained the big boot.iso image
> > within it, thus doubling its size.  The same will happen when building
> > the other images, thus growing their size exponentially.
>
> I guess that's why you are not supposed to set CDRELEASE manually for
> those CDs. Try doing a 'normal' build first, and then build in
> .../installcd.

But AFAICS, the tiny iso's also end up inside the generated iso.

> Of course in the long run, someone could fix makefs(8) to have some
> --exclude switch, possibly while adding graft points.

Given that you are already duplicating the release directory
(Makefile.bootcd, copy-releasedir target) for makefs to run, couldn't
you simply rm -rf the iso's directory from the copy before running
makefs?

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/