Subject: Re: cscope
To: Chuck Cranor <chuck@ece.cmu.edu>
From: Aymeric Vincent <vincent@labri.fr>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/02/2006 18:07:14
Chuck Cranor <chuck@ece.cmu.edu> writes:

>    I propose that we import cscope into our source tree.

I like cscope too, but I don't see a good reason for importing it into
NetBSD.

>    I also think we should take advantage of being an open source project
> and look into providing better indexing of our source tree.  Our current
> efforts on this front are broken (/var/db/libc.tags is not useful, see
> PR 34913).  I would like to see us use better tools (e.g. cscope) and
> provide more coverage (e.g. not just libc).

What is the size of an equivalent database generated by cscope?
Wouldn't its size be too big to include in a release? (just guessing)

>    It would also be nice to provide a web-based view into the source
> tree, kind of like what open solaris does (but maybe without java and
> all the baggage it brings).   see http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/
> for an example.

I'm not saying it's nice, but if you want to see what Global can
generate on the sources of an i386 kernel without running it yourself:

http://netbsd.enseirb.fr/netbsd-3-0/

It is possible to generate also a "search" functionality. The main
thing which isn't nice at all is that the file names (and thus the
URLs) are encoded as numbers which can vary with each regeneration of
the files... So it's very hard to publish a useful URL, and you never
know in which file you land when you follow a link.

Regards,
 Aymeric