Subject: Re: Enabling LFS in sysinst (and moving lfs_cleanerd)
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/29/2006 18:17:46
On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 06:18:02PM +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> Now, the problem is that the boot-big.fs image is already at its limit
> and it cannot grow any more because it'd not fit a 2.8MB floppy disk.
> But as the Makefiles say, NetBSD cannot write such disks.  Given that
> we already have the boot iso images (which replace boot-big.fs),
> someone mentioned that boot-big.fs shall be removed.  And, for
> simplicity, this is what I've done (well, not really yet).

What I would consider is adding a 3rd boot filesystem that includes
the extra utilities.  There is plenty of space in the ramdisk itself
(since the limit is on the compressed kernel+ramdisk), so a different
kernel isn't necessarily needed.

Possibly some of the 'tiny' floppies (etc) could be depracated, since
they are sized for 5 1/4" floppies and 386/486 systems.

The 'kernel+ramdisk' install kernels are very useful - since they can
be netbooted, and I wouldn't want to get rid of them.
I also think that new iso images do boot that sort of kernel.

Oh, and the 2.8MB floppy is the limit for floppy emulation on a CD,
not the size of a physical floppy.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk