Subject: Re: dhclient vs. a preexisting default route - PR#22418
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/07/2006 10:07:14
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
>  - do we want a DHCP-supplied default route to override?  Most of the
> time it's desireable, but I could see an argument against it.

Does dhclient.conf provide enough configurability for this?  For
example (syntax might be slightly wrong, but you get the idea):

    supersede routers 10.9.8.7; # I know better than the DHCP server
    prepend routers 10.9.8.7;   # Try my router first.
    append routers 10.9.8.7;    # Try my router last.

>  - if DHCP overrides, is it OK to implicitly change the behavior from
> "first router is chosen" to "last router is chosen"?

Ideally, they should all be used in some sort of load sharing or
failover scheme.  But, while we don't have that, I think the first one
should win.

--apb (Alan Barrett)