Subject: Re: "default shell" [was: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/user]
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/03/2006 08:42:56
On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 02:36:10PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 02:16:21PM +0200, Elad Efrat wrote:
> > I'd appreciate if we sat down to
> > redesign it entirely, perhaps with some people who have experience
> > designing user interfaces...
>
> Before we go this route, I'd like to see constructive criticism from
> people who have used sysinst recently. Maybe I am too much used ot it,
> but for me it just works amazingly well.

Seriously.  Try the FreeBSD installer sometime (and then run away
in Fear).  Sysinst has its limitations, but it works remarkably
well.  A naive run through the menus accepting all the defaults
will leave a reasonably sane installation and a working system;
this is not really true for a lot of other curses-based Unix
installers (e.g. Sun's, which is really the grandaddy of them
all).

> What are actual problems people have with sysinst?
>
> The major one I see is lack of integrated pkg_select. Easy to
> fix w/o complete redesign.

Yes.

Thor