Subject: Re: "default shell" [was: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/user]
To: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/03/2006 14:36:10
On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 02:16:21PM +0200, Elad Efrat wrote:
> I'd appreciate if we sat down to
> redesign it entirely, perhaps with some people who have experience
> designing user interfaces...

Before we go this route, I'd like to see constructive criticism from
people who have used sysinst recently. Maybe I am too much used ot it,
but for me it just works amazingly well. (Of course every time I find
something in it that anoys me, I go and fix it or ask David for help,
it's not as if the code is rocket science and you'd need a sysinst
diploma to touch it.)

What are actual problems people have with sysinst?

The major one I see is lack of integrated pkg_select. Easy to
fix w/o complete redesign.

A minor one (from my POV) is lack of support for mass-deployment
(scriptability, "jumpstart"). This should not be too hard to add,
but preferably by people who actually use this kind of setup.

Martin