Subject: Re: Changing default shell
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/18/2006 21:28:31
On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 02:39:44PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> There's a longstanding BSD tradition of csh, and  some  may object to
> this change on the basis of upholding that tradition.

Yes, traditionally BSD used csh (since job controll was added, I believe).

But we are not talking about removing csh from base (though I bet most csh
users use tcsh anyway), but about a completely meaningless default.

Most users who don't know about shells will expect bash, which we clearly
won't provide by default. Everyone else will have his own favorite shell,
and we won't force them to use something else.

I personally did not even know that the -s argument to useradd was optional.

So, this is a default we can pick and will always pick wrong for most people.
I don't care what we pick, I won't object any change, and I don't realy see
the benefit of any change at all - I certainly may be alone with this opinion
and I won't mind that either ;-)

Martin