Subject: Re: error function re-factoring.
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/29/2006 09:30:09
Matthias Drochner wrote:
> I wouldn't put the declarations into <err.h> but use
> a separate header. <err.h> is quite popular and used
> by 3rdparty and local software, and your e* functions
> have a high potential for namespace collisions.
>
> Whether error messages are printed or not... not
> sure what is right. But if error messages are printed,
> they should not contain the strings passed by the user
> as they could contain escape sequences or sensitive
> information.

Would that mean that _all_ NetBSD utilities, even cat(1), would have to
be rewritten to never output control characters when that is not
expected? What would be the correct error message if a file whose name
contains special characters cannot be found?

cat: a file, whose name I won't show you due to security restrictions,
could not be found.

Roland