Subject: Re: XML for System Configs [ was Re: power management and related
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: None <danieldk@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/07/2006 06:01:56
Chris Jepeway wrote:
> The larger point lies in violating "one line, one semantic unit."
> Unix cmd-line utils operate on lines.

IMO a switch to XML should be done properly, standards like XPath
were made to make access to XML files easy. So, I think it is better
to think along the lines of:

xased --context='//user[account="daniel"]/shell' 's/csh/ksh/'
xagrep --context='//user/shell' 'csh'

As far as I can see it makes system administration easier, because
it is a lot more easier to narrow the context to make changes to
than using line-based tools. It will also ease up things for
people who are building configuration tools for desktop-oriented
NetBSD distributions.

-- Daniel