Subject: Re: abi compatibility policy
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/26/2006 18:38:34
On Feb 26, 2006, at 4:30 AM, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:

> recently, elad made a change to libutil which breaks abi compatibility
> without bumping shlib major number.
>
> while there are no affected releases, the interface has been there for
> 5 months.  i don't see any good reason to break it here.
> i believe that the change should be reverted or major should be
> bumped.

I'm not a big fan of bumping libutil -- the last time we did it, it
was painful -- we had to hunt down a smattering of other shlibs that
linked against it.

My inclination is to let this one slide and just make sure a snafu
like this doesn't happen again.

Personally, I feel that too much stuff randomly goes into libutil.
Perhaps changing our policy on what goes into shared libraries needs
to be tighter.

-- thorpej