Subject: Re: Where should progress(1) write?
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/14/2006 00:00:02
On 13-Jan-2006 Alan Barrett wrote:
> Well, I think that stderr would be the right default, and I can't easily
> think of a case where I'd want progress(1) to write to stdout.  I can
> easily think of cases where I'd want output to /dev/tty (so stdout and
> stderr can be reserved for use by the command spawned by progress).

If people think this is a reasonable thing to do, I can back out the change,
and set the default output to stderr.  However we need to know 2 things:

1) Will this affect any current uses of progress, such as sysinst?  The -e
change was relatively safe because it didn't modify the default behavior,
however if people have written scripts or whatnot around the current behavior
of progress, we may break them unexpectedly.  I don't take that as lightly.

2) You propose wanting to output to /dev/tty.  How do you propose we allow that
from an option standpoint?  A -d <device> option?

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/