Subject: Re: Where should progress(1) write?
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/13/2006 19:52:35
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Alan Barrett wrote:
> Well, I think that stderr would be the right default, and I can't easily
> think of a case where I'd want progress(1) to write to stdout.  I can
> easily think of cases where I'd want output to /dev/tty (so stdout and
> stderr can be reserved for use by the command spawned by progress).

I think that stderr is more useful than stdout,
but how do you suggest that transition?
What are the places that need changing? Besides sysinst?
Any user level code?

> BTW, dd(1) has a progress option that prints dots to stderr.

I added that for g4u, but I've also replaced it with progress(1).
Including some ugly scripts just because progress can't push the data
through to stdout. :)

  - Hubert