Subject: Re: using getopt_long
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/18/2005 15:23:59
> Thor wrote:
>I think we should change our ls(1) to insert ANSI color sequences into
>its output (regardless of selected terminal type) and add a --dwim
>option to the disklabel(8) and fdisk(8) programs.
>
>Seriously, if you want the Linux userland, you know where to find it.

	Now Thor, don't try to FUD the issue.  We all know linux has
some rather poor things in it (e.g. does pwd really need a --version
option? :) ), but that doesn't mean there aren't good ideas that we can
take from it.

>On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:54:23PM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>> I think we should convert all of our in-tree programs to use long
>> options (compatible with the corresponding GNU program, when
>> appropriate).

	hmm... _all_?  I think allowing new programs to use long option,
and adding long options to existing programs, is appropriate when it
provides a more understandable way to specify the option, or when
trying to come up with another short option would be contrived.
Scattering long options everywhere, just to have long options, is
going a bit too far.

eric