Subject: Re: using getopt_long (was Re: Bluetooth update)
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/18/2005 14:40:02
> David Laight wrote:
>Actually if programs use long options I find I have to read the man page
>every time in order to find the exact spelling.  So there is little
>benefit over reading the man page in order to find the the short option
>letter.

	Well, sure.  If you don't know the option, then you'll need to look it
up, whether it's a short option or a long one.  At least with a long option
you're more likely to get an error than to accidentally pick some other
option that appears to work but does something entirely different from what
you intended.
	On the other hand, if, for example, you were to be looking at a script
that runs a program, you'd probably have a much easier time figuring out
what it was trying to do if it passed long options instead of short ones.

eric