Subject: Re: using getopt_long (was Re: Bluetooth update)
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/18/2005 01:42:49
>> Please do *not* use long options in new code for NetBSD.

Does "long options" mean "options where the part which selects what
option it is is more than one character long", or does it mean
"GNU-style "--"-introduced options with "=value" arguments"?  Or does
it mean something else entirely?

This discussion seems to equate "long options" with getopt_long(),
which (based on the 2.1 manpage) seems to mean the GNU way.  If that's
what this "please do not" refers to, what about the more inclusive
definition above?

> I feel that long options such as "--requires" and "--required-by"
> would stick in my mind better, but maybe I'm just getting old and
> slow. :)

What I don't get is what's wrong with "-requires" and "-required-by".
But maybe *I*'m just old and slow.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign