Subject: Re: using getopt_long (was Re: Bluetooth update)
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/17/2005 23:41:47
On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 10:36:28PM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 04:01:50PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > Please do *not* use long options in new code for NetBSD.
>
> 	What's the reason for this?  I don't see anything mentioned about it
> in the style guide.  Is your argument against it just "we haven't done it
> so far", or is there some usability reason?

It results in a command-line interface that's inconsistent with that of
the majority of the executables in NetBSD.  From my point of view, we
might as well start writing new programs with the command-line syntax
of dd -- I find it easy to remember, after all...

If we're going to start adding new uses of getopt_long we should, at
the very least, discuss it first.

Thor