Subject: chrooted named(8) and /etc/named
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/17/2005 19:55:43
Hi,

since netbsd-3 ships with BIND v9, I figured that I could just as well drop
the pkgsrc named and go with the one in the base distribution.

Comparing the old and new /etc/rc.d/named, I wondered about /etc/named.
When you run named chrooted, the rc.d script sets up a few essential files
in ${named_chrootdir} up front. But it does not copy the configuration
files, and so you end up with unused stuff in /etc/named and the real
named's configuration in ${named_chrootdir}/etc/named. Until now I simply
blew away /etc/named and replaced it with a symlink to the chrooted version.

Would't it make more sense to keep the original setup in /etc/named and
have /etc/rc.d/named copy/pax the directory over to the chroot?

	hauke