Subject: Re: usermod, login class
To: Liam J. Foy <liamfoy@sepulcrum.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/22/2005 16:08:56
On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 03:50:56PM +0000, Liam J. Foy wrote:
> On 14:24, Sat 22 Oct 05, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 06:39:52PM +0200, rudolf wrote:
> > > [...] In the usermod
> > > soure file (/usr/src/usr.sbin/user/user.c) are pwp->pw_class
> > > manipulations inside "#ifdef EXTENSIONS". I don't know what EXTENSIONS
> > > means, should this work under generic build of 2.1_RC6 (amd64)?
> >
> > "EXTENSIONS" just denotes extra functionality over and above the
> > standard Solaris 2.6 functionality (the utility was coded up after
> > reading Solaris 2.6 manual pages).
>
> Just as a side note, we build with EXTENSIONS by default rudolf.
> Without EXTENSIONS we lose some options.
>
> Which also reminds me Alistair, shouldn't we mention in the man page
> which options are dropped if someone decides not to build with
> EXTENSIONS?

Up until now, I'd not considered that, since we always build
with EXTENSIONS defined. Yes, manual page clarifications would
be good - was that a volunteer I heard? :-)

> Also to that point, is there a huge reason why we MUST
> keep EXTENSIONS?

If you're talking about keeping the definition itself, rather than the
code that's compiled when EXTENSIONS is defined, I don't see any
compelling reason to get rid of it, or any gain to be had. I could
also see some drawbacks.

Regards,
Alistair