Subject: setproctitle: why so restrictive?
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/14/2005 03:00:25
Why does setproctitle() insist on sticking a "%s: " prefix before the
supplied format?  It's annoying for programs whose __progname is not as
meaningful as some other available information and it has no security
benefit (since programs can do what setproctitle's implementation does
anyway, setting whatever string they feel like), so I have to wonder,
what am I missing?  Is it just a convenience for programs that do want
it there (and this was believed to override the inconvenience for
programs that don't), or is there something bigger I'm missing?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign