Subject: Re: Static linking of Citrus modules
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/14/2005 17:56:45
On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 05:39:57PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> Because there are good reasons to link static binaries outside /rescue.

Well, for you there may be.
There are, however, other reasons to avoid static binaries - like dynamic
authentication modules. But this is a completely different discussion,
let's not get into that flamewar right now.

Back to the topic:

While your variant (c) works for the current state, I'm not sure this will
still be the case for a more complete locale implementation. I would expect
collation support to use dynamically loaded functions (not only data tables).
This would make locales in static binaries second class locales, or it would
require at least linking in all collation functions. This may not be much
of a space issue, but restrict you to a predefined set of collation orders.

Martin