Subject: Re: port-xen/29887: sysctl kern.consdev coredumps
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/21/2005 22:56:06
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2005, at 9:11 PM, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > The problem though is that thanks to gcc, how puts() behaves is how
> > printf() behaves some of the time. So printf() no longer has its
> > historical behavior.
>
> So what?  It wasn't documented behavior, so anyone who depends on it
> is being foolish anyway.

Really?

$ env |grep MORE
MORE=-+E

That means I can press 'G' while viewing a man page and scroll back,
instead of being dumped back at the prompt.  The variable is not
documented on the man page.  I found it in the source code, reasoning that
something had to make more(1) differ from less(1), even though they're the
same inode.

How is that foolish?

--jkl