Subject: Re: port-xen/29887: sysctl kern.consdev coredumps
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/21/2005 06:59:35
On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 03:51:59PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> Even the GCC manual pages say that optimization might make debugging
> more difficult.  If you are having trouble debugging a buggy
> application, the first step is almost always "compile with -O0".

I usually find it easier to read/debug the assembler of programs
compilers with -O2, with -O0 there is far too much faffing around
to see what is actually going on.

Also I hope you are going to compile your finished product with -O2,
so you need to do your development with the same option.  Otherwise
you'll start blaming the compiler for mis-compiling broken code.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk