Subject: Re: ingres and atomicity
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/14/2005 22:22:50
Rick Kelly wrote:
> James K. Lowden said:
>
> >I'd like to understand those issues better, for my own edification.
> >The docs say they demand 3.3.2; they don't say what the trouble with
> >3.3.3 is.
>
> The original source that I downloaded was documented to require 3.3.3 or
> 3.3.2. This may have changed. I tried to build on Slackware 10, which
> comes with 3.3.4, and got what seemed to be compiler errors that caused
> the build to fail.

I downloaded ingres-3.0.2.109-GA-src.tar.gz.  INSTALL says:

 "These instructions describe building Ingres on Linux.  However, the
  same basic techniques are used for building the product on all Unix
  variants...."

Configurations are provided for a variety of Unices.  How well they work I
don't know.

> Building also requires a special version of pax, that can only be
> downloaded from CA as a linux binary.

Provided as source in pax directory at the top of the tree.  On NetBSD, it
required "unpatching" to re-insert BSD code that had been Linuxized.  The
first step in building Ingres is building its pax.

> CA has a history of acquiring software and then ruining it.

I know.  I don't imagine I'm doing CA a favor.  The way I see it, making
something work on NetBSD is good for NetBSD.

--jkl