Subject: Re: ingres and atomicity
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/13/2005 20:57:31
Rick Kelly wrote:
> Christos Zoulas said:
>
> >I think that the best way to make progress is to follow what Linux
> >does, and mark it XXX:jkl or something where you need to re-visit it.
>
> I couldn't get Ingres to build on Slackware 10, apparently because it
> requires GCC 3.3.2 or 3.3.3, and Slackware uses 3.3.4.

I'd like to understand those issues better, for my own edification.  The
docs say they demand 3.3.2; they don't say what the trouble with 3.3.3 is.

> CA took Ingres and
> stripped out the information for other operating systems, and made it
> very Linux centric. Ingres itself has had few features added to it since
> 1995 or so. Probably better to use Postgres.

Well.  In 1985 Ingres had features not yet in Postgres, including for
example clustered servers.  From what I know/remember of the feature sets,
there's really no comparison.

--jkl