Subject: Re: [Summer of Code]Wide Character Support in curses
To: Ruibiao Qiu <ruibiao@arl.wustl.edu>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/13/2005 17:20:55
On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 10:15:55AM -0500, Ruibiao Qiu wrote:
> Besides, there were suggestions that all wide characters in the same screen
> have the same width from the discussion.  From a wide character application
> users' perspective, I think that is too restricted.

Thee "wide charcter" in this context is not a character using more space
on the screen than other characters, but is wider than 8 bits in its internal
representation. That may well be a 32bit value with all upper 25bits zero -
in other words an ASCII value.

I personally would use a multibyte character encoding and variable (from a
storage space point of view) line lengths [allocating new lines with the
maximum lentgh used ever and expanding by reallocating as needed], making it
easy to get to the start of the previous or next line, but requiring scans
accross the line to find a specific postion. This would probably cause a
major rewrite of all of curses ;-)

Martin