Subject: Re: standalone ftpd?
To: None <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/25/2005 17:09:09
On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:42:09 +0200
"Geert Hendrickx" <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to run /usr/libexec/ftpd as a standalone daemon? (i.e.,
> not from inetd)

AFAIK, no.

> I had problems running it from inetd since that puts restrictions on the
> number of connections etc.  I'd like to run ftpd on its own (like you
> can do with the many other ftp servers from pkgsrc).

From inetd(8) manpage:

"The optional ``max'' suffix (separated from ``wait'' or ``nowait'' by a
dot or a colon) specifies the maximum number of server instances that
may be spawned from inetd within an interval of 60 seconds.  When
omitted, ``max'' defaults to 40."

Thus just modify your ftp settings in /etc/inetd.conf to something like:

	ftp  stream  tcp  nowait:400  root  /usr/libexec/ftpd  ftpd -l

--
BR, Mishka.