Subject: Re: patching a large number of files
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Igor Sobrado <igor@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/16/2005 15:58:31
> On Mon, 16 May 2005, Igor Sobrado wrote:
> > How should I submit these patches to simplify applying the changes?
>
> One patch per *functional* change?
> A bit hard to answer without knowing what you do.

Hello Hubert.

I am looking for achieving two goals:

  - removing hardcoded references to command names in the ``usage''
    of the commands provided in the base system (I will work on BSD
    commands now, as third party software will probably require
    further analysis).  It should be an easy task.  Most commands
    use getprogname(3) now and changes will not be required.  When
    required, I will look in the code for the right header file
    (stdlib.h) and I will build the command.  Is it required building
    world to be sure all goes fine with these changes?

  - update (and sometimes fix!) the ``usage'' messages in some
    commands that are either outdated or incorrect.  This goal
    will require a lot of work on the mailing list, though!
    Some of these errors are easy to see, in other cases
    perhaps I am wrong.  I will submit a detailed description
    of changes as soon as I see the big picture and have a detailed
    list of all changes I will propose.

I am working on a spell(1) command, written from scratch that will
use the dictionaries currently provided in /usr/share/dict too.
As soon as I have something useful I will submit it for evaluation
to the mailing list too.

Thanks again for the feedback on this proposal!

Igor.