Subject: Re: sh & IFS
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/30/2005 20:04:40
On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 03:40:07PM -0800, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> >Incidently, at this point, what's left in ksh that isn't in /bin/sh?
>
> In 2.0 anyway, emacs mode bindings for [pd]ksh's
>
> \e\e	complete word
> \e=	list possible completions
> \e.	yank last word from previous line

Fix libedit....  I only use the 'vi' style editing - which I fixed.

> there are probably more, but those are the ones that frustrate me the most.
> Does our sh do ksh style arrays?  I find that invaluable for cd history.
> eg.
>
> : sjg:226; cd -l
>  22 /var/db/pkg
>  21 /NetBSD/current/src
> <snip/>
>   3 /homes/sjg/py/src/tools
>   2 /g/sjg/work/sjg/mk
>   1 /g/sjg/work/sjg/bin/bmake
>   0 /homes/sjg
> : sjg:227;
>
> cd -2 or cd -mk would take me to /g/sjg/work/sjg/mk

Eh? what has that got to do with arrays?

In any case the ksh arrays aren't in posix, and are unlikely to be
implemented - they are just plain broken.

sh also doesn't keep a cd history, nor even a persistent (or shared)
command history for that matter.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk