Subject: Re: Difference display sysctl(3)
To: kamel derouiche <derouiche_dz@yahoo.fr>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/16/2005 10:21:32
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, kamel derouiche wrote:

> what are the differences between sysctl(8) and
> sysctl(3) in unix platforms ??

Your question seems a little vague to me.

If you are asking what is difference between two man pages, then one
documents the tool and the other documents the developer function.
They both do basically the same thing.

If you are asking about the different sysctl's between different operating
systems, this is a very broad question and too many to cover easily. I am
working on writing some articles comparing common tunables for FreeBSD,
NetBSD and Solaris (such as /etc/system). If anyone is interested in
helping, please let me know -- or send me the tunables you commonly use.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/